Powered By Blogger

Monday, September 19, 2011

Wisconsin Vacation

        For our anniversary trip this year, we decided to fly to Madison, Wisc. to see our dear friends, Dean and Cindy. While this was the main reason for going out, the subplot quickly became a Brewery and Brew pub tour of the area. I will do follow up posts about all the great pubs we visited but this first post will be about another event we went to. Alot of you,(OK most everyone), would not want to visit a farmers market but we are a strange couple and find farmers markets fascinating. So when I read that the Madison farmers market was one of the, (if not THE), biggest in the country. and then Dean mentioned they hadn't been in years, well our Saturday morning was set. Hi ho, hi ho its off to market we go.

      We parked at the world famous Monona Terrace.originally designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1938 and finally opened in 1997 (just goes to show the workings of government hasn't changed much in the last 70 years). This is a beautiful convention center situated right on Lake Monona. From the upper deck, there is a terrific view of the capitol building. Here are a few pics of Monona Terrace, the capitol and the street we walked to get to the market;



     The market wends it way ALL the way around capitol square. We were told there were over 300 vendors and I believe it. Some of the sights, (too bad we don't have smell-o-vision, the smells were incredible), we saw;



     After walking around for what seems like hours and all four of us having bags FULL of fresh produce (and a nice anniversary present, if I do say so myself), we decided to take a short cut through the capitol on our way back to the car. I don't know about the rest of you but all capitols look the same to me, (it may just be me, I feel the same way about babies). So here are a few shots of Madison's fine, (if generic), capitol building;


      We left with bags full and legs weary. Dropping off our goodies at the house,we then proceeded to have a light (HA) lunch at Tofflers and then a tour of the New Glarus Brewery (posts coming for both). Then, back to the house where we all crashed (except Dean who made us an incredible supper, Thanks again Dean and Cindy for the incredible hospitality). To finish this post here are a few pictures of the flowers and critters around their house, including (if I do say so myself) my best picture, so far, of a bird in flight (Man do I have problems with them). Enjoy !



No comments:

Post a Comment